Monday, March 25, 2013

Reflection #8


Nicholas Dadds 
March 25, 2013
Reflection #8

          The one time I had my beliefs challenged severely was the day of my Confirmation into the Catholic Church. Before the rites commenced, the soon to be confirmed students had an opportunity to speak with the bishop of our dioceses, Bishop Daniel Jenkie. I had a burning question to ask him that had been bugging me ever since I began to think about death and the afterlife. When my opportunity came, I asked him, “My little brother is autistic and has no communication skills. Even though he can’t understand what is going on around him, can he still get into heaven? Does God love him?” The bishop paused for a second, looked me dead in the eyes and said, “No.” and then just moved on to the next student. To say that I was in shock and hurt is an understatement. Here I was an eighth grade student who had blindly followed the teachings of the Catholic Church for as long as I could remember, and now a leader of the Church, had just told me that the person I care most about in the world, who didn’t choose to be born with a disability, is damned to an eternity of suffering and pain. That thought alone was too much to bear, and since then I have renounced my faith and cut all ties with the Catholic Church. Even if they are right, and my little brother is damned, at least I’ll be right there along with him, burning for all eternity. 
          The main difference between the two, is the hide able powers allow me to continue my normal life as it has gone, but with certain super powered perks, but with the other one, I could only imagine a life of obscurity and isolation, my life would be completely different. Again, with the first group, I could continue my life as normal, keeping the same friends and even possibly being in the same fraternity that I am in now; in the second group, I would probably completely avoid all forms of human contact, remaining in some form of isolation from now until my family needed me. The X-Men tell the outcasts and other people considered deviant and odd by the mainstream members of society, that not only can they fit into the normal society, it won’t be easy, but it is possible to rise above and become idols for the mainstream members of society, to be idolized instead of feared or shunned.
          I feel as though the mutant I identify most with is Rogue. I find myself being able to fit into most social scenarios, until I do something odd and people seem to see past the facade, and realize that there is something off about me, causing me to be either shunned, or brought in to the group more. I wouldn’t go looking for a cure. If I was given a gift, I should use that gift to better mankind, not try to get rid of it like a common ailment. 

5 comments:

  1. What you faced in 8th grade is almost exactly what I faced during my Confirmation into the Catholic Church. For me,I questioned the entire thought about religion and I asked our Confirmation group what everyone felt about those who are questioning God. I had a great friend amongst the group and he stood up and told me that anyone question faith was unfit for heaven. I was so angry, especially since this was coming from a close friend of mine. I broke ties with the individual, gave him a piece of my mind,and let my emotions get the best of me. But he was just acting out on behalf of what he had been taught by his parents and our Bishop. So I could not be too mad at him, but I was still pissed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I admire you a lot for standing up for your little brother like that. Personally, judgements like that are why I am not a fan of overly religious people. I have no issue with religion until it tells people that they are damned just for being different or not having the opportunities that others have.
    It would definitely take a large sacrifice to keep an ability like Rogue's, one that affects your own life in such a negative way. It would be a great thing, though, if you could turn it to good purposes. I'm sure that I wouldn't have the selflessness to do that with an ability like that, it's awesome if you could. =]

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is why I'm not Catholic, nor religious. I"m with Meg, I don't mind religion, just not the overly religious ones. In my opinion, what you did was right. As soon as I started thinking about this blog, and came across your answer, I almost knew you were going to say Rogue. I would say that being shunned or being drawn in more are not the only two options. People are sometimes more accepting than you think. They may accept the fact that you are who you are and it will not change.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a Catholic, I am appalled by what your Bishop said and I completely disagree. A lot of people have left the Catholic church (or any church) for things like this and I do not blame them. There are some Catholics or other religious people who just get too radical. Also, I realize that there are good and bad people in this world: plain and simple regardless of their beliefs. It truly makes me upset that your Bishop would say this and Justin, it makes me upset that your friend would say such a thing.

    PS: Don't worry people, I am most definitely not a Bible-thumper.

    ReplyDelete
  5. **As a person, I am apalled. My affiliation with the Catholic Church just make it all that much more sickening.

    ReplyDelete